De Caumermolen (‘Caumer mill’) is located next to a, nowadays silted up, branch of the ‘Caumerbeek’ (brook) and was previously used as a grain mill. In 1371, De Caumermolen is mentioned as a mill used for thirlage, which means that the inhabitants of the ‘Vrijheid’ (Heerlen’s centre) were obliged to let their grain be ground in this mill.
The present house was built out of brick and has an open court at the street side. The anchor plates on the wall signify that the mill was altered or rebuilt in 1787. At the waterside, the centre wing has an old rear side which is a piece of workmanship. The mill pond is silted up. At the back, above the water line, there’s an extension which was built later, with a pent-roof for the mill interior, which is now gone.
Through the centuries, more and more mills were added in Heerlen, which lead to a decrease in the miller’s earnings. In 1753, the miller complained to the States General in The Hague, since only 16 houses still ground their grain at his mill.
In the days of the Buckriders, during the night of 7 to 8 December 1772, the mill was broken into. Thanks to the footprints in the snow, the thieves were caught the next day.
During the French period, 1794-1815, a private chapel was installed in the mill for the Countess of Ansfeldt and her six priests who had fled from France.
In 1953, the last miller moved to Luxemburg with his family because of the continuously low water level. The mill was sold to the municipality of Heerlen. Nowadays, it is private property.